Wednesday 13 April 2011

my evenings entertainment


Tonight I have been watching this mans documentaries all night and I really like them. They are funny and cutting but most of all he is brave and very pleasingly rebelious. He wears the charming sneer of a provokateur. I love rhyming. He is the sort of person who would be one of my heros if I found him when I was 14. but to be honest I haven't grown up that much. I am very consistant.
His videos appeal to me because one, they are all adventures they are exciting. Two, they are very funny and morally dubious and i dig that. Three, they all look so crap. They made me really want to just buy a cheap as possible video camera and have it with me at all times, make a real living breathing PEM sketchbook, because I think the gap between the conception and the creation is where ideas die. His work is an adventure because of the immediacy of his footage. It makes me think of limmy when he existed as these little crappy but brilliant videos on youtube. You could imagine him thinking of some idea then just filming it then and there they had the same wonderful imediece and reactive expressionism to them. You don't stop to nail the idea to the floor you become proactive. I need that. When an idea comes to me yes a hold it by writting it down or muttering it into my dictaphone but I don't grab it because I don't have the equipment right there. yes I know I can get the stuff out from callum everyday of the working week but even waiting in the que the passion and enthusiasm which is I think very much an essiencial when making art begins to wayne. Film is a hard thing to do you have to plan espechally when you want the film to look class but I feel I need to channle my compulsion and raw expression. how do I do it in this medium? well I suppose like this:     
but you know my videos will be art heh heh heh....heh?
Any way I think when I get a job this summer I am going to save up for a vid camera and a large stack of DV tapes because I really like that romantic idea of being the free whellin guerilla artist and I think it will accustom me to being more reactive and engaged in my prcatise. I think it will be great fun and that I will end up with lots of pointless crap footage and start to live more and more in the av lab slowly forgetting what the outside world looks like maybe devole into cannialism snaring poor defensiless vis com students and roasting them with one of those new fancy Macs plasma screens. boy are those computers hot!
I can hardly wait. exciting stuff.

1 comment:

  1. sticking with the Australian theme: http://www.stormmovie.net/

    ReplyDelete